02 September 2009

Saccharomyces cerevisiae YJM789...


...the object of my quest. 
In the spirit of trying to be a better steward of the planet, I have been tryng to use my bicycle more than I use my car.  No small feat.  We live a few miles away from the closest anything.  Easy when you just hop in the car and drive off.  Minutes from everything.  But you have to plan if you want to use less gas, be more responsible.  So today I rode my bike 20+ miles for $.044 worth of baker's yeast -- insantiy.  But what is more insane?  a) getting exercise on a most beautiful late summer morning...three hours worth  or b) driving the same distance to save a little time, while spending $2 in gas, not to mention wear and tear as well as carbon emmisions...  I had the time.  I chose a).
Now mind you, I was not sure I could really ride that far.  I had never done it before.  I did not bother to call the store that carries the bulk yeast to even see if they had it in stock -- they are often sold out.  If I actually knew there was no yeast, I might not have made the attempt.  The only thing I really did to prepare was to pack an extra tire tube and pump, just in case -- like I'd even know what to do if I had a flat...
Flat was pretty much the name of the ride.  Flat as in terrain.  It was a fabulous ride.  Well thought out, if I must say so myself.  I did plan that part out on google maps last night when I first got the idea.  The route I chose took me through three small towns an down a great bike path.  I got to ride over a pedestrian bridge crossing the freeway that I have not gone over since I was in elementary school.  That was kind of a cool memory.  I pedalled down roads that I had not been on by bike in as much as long.  Even though it was work, it was a delightful ride. 
On the way home, I treated myself to a lunch out with Agatha Christie at the local Noodles and Co.  I LOVE their Bangkok Curry -- light on the pasta, heavy on the veggies with a lovely creamy curry sauce.  I cannot believe it is so low in calories being so high in taste.  I've never been crazy about chain food joints, but this dish is worth buckling under once in a while.  It was what I needed to fuel my push for home.  I made it just fine, but did take a little nap a short bit later.
Funny how this accomplishment colored the rest of my day -- travel wise, that is.  I had one more errand to run and was VERY tempted to make it by car, but because I "ran out" for a little yeast, I CERTAINLY could run into town and drop off the library books that were due.  There was no justification to take the car.  So I hopped on and pedalled 3 more miles out and back -- more insanity...
But what is life without it, excepting pain free knees!

2 comments:

stash haus said...

Thank you for somewhat making up for the huge carbon footprint I leave everyday when commuting.

A little bengay on the knees before cycling may help feel better afterwards - you just end up smelling 20+ years older than you are.

-va- said...

update...the pesto/parmie foccacia bread I made with that yeast was a giant YUMFEST!